I can't believe that as of today it's been 3 months since I had my thyroidectomy surgery. It's gone so fast and yet it seems like it was forever ago also.
Things are going really well for me. I'm feeling pretty good, just waiting for my hormone levels to level out. I'm definitely feeling better than when I was off my meds but still not quite back to full energy levels and my brain isn't completely focused but other wise things are looking pretty good. I'm definitely not in a complete fog any more and generally can stay awake all day. I do wake up and struggle to get out of the bed in the morning, even after a full 8 hour sleep and I often almost fall asleep any time I sit for more than say 5 minutes, especially if I'm feeding Caleb. But for the most part things are going well. My house might say otherwise at the moment, I definitely have some catching up to do! But that can also be attributed to the fact that Luke learned how to climb out of his crib almost a week ago now and wreaks major havoc each time he does, which is multiple, multiple times per naptime (no matter how many times or how hard I "lovingly correct" him). And naptime is also supposed to be when I get the majority of my house cleaning and laundry and stuff done. So it's suffered more than a little bit! Caleb has also recently decided to have some sleep issues and I just don't feel like it's fair to make Sydney (they're sharing a room right now) stay in her room for an hour or more with a screaming baby. So ya, things may be slightly out of control. I really need to wash dishes for example... I have now used all my pots and pans and have no clean ones left. I also have a load a clean clothes sitting on top of the dryer waiting to be folded as well as another load in the dryer waiting. Then there's at least two loads sitting on the washing machine waiting their turns and more than a couple more loads in various places around the house just waiting.
But God is so good to us and we're so thankful. It's been a strange journey. I'm not all too sure what most people's cancer adventures are like but mine has definitely not been what I thought it would be like, not that I ever really thought I'd have cancer, but you know what I mean... But it's was weird to be feeling pretty much normal, not having any symptoms, to going in for surgery to have my thyroid removed and then two months later having radiation. And now life is continuing on almost like it never happened. It's a little hard sometimes as I think I felt better before everything went down because even though I had cancer my hormone levels were totally normal. Now, even on my meds, my levels aren't quite where they should be so I'm dragging around and just not feeling like myself. But I'm so grateful and thankful to God that the cancer was found and he was able to heal me through my doctors and modern medicine! And I really should be back to completely normal soon and then life will continue on just as it is continuing on now.
For those of you who are interested here are a couple of pics that I took, one from before surgery and two from today. They are unedited and not the most flattering pics ever but they show my neck and my scar. The scar looks a lot more obvious in the pics then it does in real life. And when my hair is down if you don't know that I had the surgery you probably wouldn't even notice it, it just looks like a shadow or something.
One last picture off my "unblemished" neck before heading off for surgery
my neck, fully stretched out, 3 months after surgery (the scar is about 2.5-3 inches long), there is also a small scar at the bottom of the picture from where the drain was and it now seems to be much more noticeable than the main scar but should end up barely noticeable
my neck, in normal position, 3 months post op (with time the color will fade and because I had a perfectly placed natural line in my neck the scar should be completely hidden)

No comments:
Post a Comment