...And works it out, just when you need it!
I was just sitting down reading a book that I was given to read during my "confinement" because my computer was giving me troubles and wouldn't let me access the internet. I had started reading it a couple days ago and had only made it a few pages in before one kid or another distracted me and I had to put it down. But I picked it up again and decided that while I waited for my lunch to cook I'd continue from where I had left off.
The book is called "And Then I Had Kids" by Susan Alexander Yates. I'd just finished the first chapter (which is basically an introduction to the rest of the book) and decided that I'd look at the scripture verses that had been included at the end in the "Focus Questions". I never do this. I usually just glance over the questions but never put any real thought or attention to them but today I decided I would. So I pulled out a Bible and started looking them up. At first I was like, "Okay, this is just a formality, there's really not going to be anything here for me, especially based on the questions they have following the verses, but I'll check them out anyways." And isn't it just like God to speak to you in those moments. To throw in your face a little "You really want to doubt Me, after all I've done for you in the past couple months? You think I can't speak through MY WORD!? You think I don't have everything worked out to happen just when you need it!? REALLY!!"
Okay, this is when I felt really humbled and decided to listen to what He had to say to me. The first two verses had a little in them, but when I checked out the last two they really spoke to me.
You see, I've been tired. Not just a little, but REALLY tired. The whole hormone replacement thing is still getting worked out and right now I've been a little down and having a hard time. So I'd been praying and asking God to help me out and give me more energy. After all the Bible many many times talks about Him being our strength in weakness. But I'd also been feeling really far from Him (I know, amazing at such a time as this in my life, but it's true) and had a bit of a hard time really believing. Stupid, stupid me. I'd just become too relaxed and dependent on what God had done, rather than on continuing with Him on the ride He's taking me on now. But that's gotta change! And today was a great refresher.
So I flipped to Psalms 28:6-9 and here's what it said:
"Blessed be the Lord! For He has heard the voice of my pleas for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to Him. The Lord is the strength of His people; He is the saving refuge of His anointed; Oh, save Your people and bless Your heritage! Be their shepherd and carry them forever."
The book was focusing on the whole shepherding aspect, but that's not what hit me. Did the you the word "strength" in there. And not just one! Oh, and did you notice the sentence about hearing my pleas, yup, that's there too. He's heard me and He's answering me. He has promised to be my strength and I'm going to stand by that. It also talks about giving thanks in song and wouldn't you know that it just so happens that right as I was reading and even now while I'm typing this my husband is working on a worship song about how much God loves us. God knows! He knows just what we need, and just when we need it!
The second verse that really spoke to me was Jeremiah 29:11-14. Almost anyone whose been around church for even a short while has heard the first verse: "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, to give you a hope and a future." But then it continues, "Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will hear you. You will seek Me and find me, when you seek Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile."
I love that, the way He can use what is familiar and speak to you in a whole new way. He's been here with me the whole time just waiting on me to call out and seek Him and He's letting me find Him. But I have to be the one active in finding.
Saturday, May 08, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment