Friday, June 19, 2009

Birthday Weekend Mayhem....

This past weekend was crazy. CRAZY. I don't care if I don't see another piece of cake or cupcake or icing ever again, okay, at least not for a long, long time. You see, this past weekend was both Noah and Luke's birthdays. A year ago we celebrated Noah's 2nd b-day on Friday and then Saturday afternoon Luke joined our family. So this year we had Noah's 3rd birthday on Saturday and Luke's 1st birthday on Sunday. Then just because I was feeling a little insane when I planned it, we had a joint birthday party for the boys on Monday evening.
Like I've said in the past, we like birthdays and we try to make each person's birthday special. That means that I make a special birthday cake for them on their birthday and as a family we have a small party with balloons, streamers, cake and presents. So on Saturday we celebrated Noah. I had been trying to figure out what type of cake to make for him for a long time and after many back and forths we finally settled on a "Chip" cake from "God Rocks!" (one of his most favorite things to watch on Jelly Telly, which if you haven't had the chance to check out, go to jellytelly.com and enjoy, the kids will love it!) Anyways, I worked on it way longer than I should have, but I'm kind of a perfectionist, even if it wasn't quite perfect. Then to make me feel sad, we cut in to it after it being completed for only like 3 minutes, but, I was able to get some pics before it was destroyed. So here they are.We had a great time celebrating Noah and he got tons of great gifts that he loved. One of those was these inflatable boxing glove things that go along with an inflatable man that bounces back up each time you hit it and pretty much mocks you and makes other great noises when hit it. But he loved the gloves, his "boxers" and when we went to check on him before we went to sleep that night we found him with them on, in his sleep. It was so cute that we couldn't resist taking a picture of it.Then on Sunday we did it all over again, but for Luke. As he's not really old enough to contribute to the idea of his cake, I just found one that I thought was cute and made it. So this year it was an alligator cake. I think it turned out awesome, I was pretty happy with it. Again, only minutes after I finished it we were chowing down on it but I was able to capture a few pictures first. Like the rest of the kids, Luke was a little reluctant to partake in his cake, well, he wasn't interested at all, except for the candle which he tried to grab multiple times while we were signing to him. So after trying to get him to go for it for those great "1st birthday pictures", you know the ones where the baby is all grabbing at the cake and smearing it all over themselves and everything else, we gave up and just took it away and everyone else dug in. But it was another fun celebration of the little guy.Then came Monday. By the end of Sunday night we were all exhausted and done with the sugar rushes and crashes that resulted from all the cake but it wasn't over yet. I spent all day Monday getting ready for the boys birthday party with all our friends from the church staff. It's kinda crazy... with just the kids from the staff families we had 16 kids in all and a couple of the families weren't able to make it. And it's not that we have a huge staff or something, lets just say we're all pretty decent at breeding. Anyways, I spent the day prepping and going crazy to decorate cupcakes and get everything ready because we were heading to one of our favorite spots, the DuBois Park Lagoon, to have the party. It was super hot and humid but once the food and gifts were done we headed down to the water and it was way nicer and cooler there. We had a great time with all our friends and the boys were super blessed. Noah kept telling me for the next couple days that it was his best birthday ever and that he loved it. That made all the work worth it.

So I found these super cute pirate cupcakes that I tried to make for the party. They turned out decent, not nearly as cute as the originals but well, I was pretty much done with icing and didn't care as much when I was making them and time was tight so I didn't have the time I would have liked to really do them right. But here they are. There's also a few picture from our time down at the beach after.So there it is. That was last weekend. The cake and cupcakes are all gone now, thank God! Life is slowly starting to get back to normal and my house it completely overcrowded with toys. And now kids are getting antsy and it's time to be done. Have a great week!

4 comments:

Chris Goeppner said...

Those cakes were awesome! I love the God Rocks guy and the lizard was cool. You need to start a business girl!!
-Penny

Anonymous said...

Wow Char - what awesome birthdays you produce ... quite a talent emerging there - I was thinking the same as Penny- if you ever need a business or have time for one (ha ha!!) ... What a lot of wonderful pirates - either you're very quick or very patient or really enjoy doing this- they're great :))
Big hugs to all our special family -Lee & Harry

Carissa said...

Your cakes were amazing Char!!

I'm so impressed that you made 3 amazing cakes in just one weekend! You need a break!

Anonymous said...

LeLe,
You are AMAZING!
Those cakes and cupcakes look SO cool!
Your kids are very blessed to have an awesome mom like you.
Love you lots,
Dubba