Sunday, July 05, 2009

My Poor Little Man...

I knew something was amiss at dinner when Noah said he wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat. Usually I'd make him take a few bites, but I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I knew not to push the issue tonight. He was happy and laughing although noticeably lethargic throughout dinner but he never complained that he wasn't feeling good. As we were finishing up I looked at him and his eyes were full of tears, nothing coming out but you knew he was beyond tired and not feeling great. I asked him if he felt okay or if his tummy was feeling funny and he said ya, he was feeling a little funny in his tummy. So, I made him go to the bathroom and then we were going to head to bed because he was obviously so tired. But, oh no, he was not quite ready to go to sleep in his bed. After me carrying him to the bathroom, helping him get on and he did his business, I was trying to get him to wash his hands. But again, no, that's not how he wanted to do it. Thinking he was just really tired I tried to make him obey but then started the coughing. (He's had a bit of a funky cough for the past couple weeks, although in the last day or two it was starting to go away.) Thinking that this was just him "loosing control" because he was so tired I tried to force him to wash his hands. Ya, that didn't go as planned, suddenly it wasn't just coughing it was gagging. Again, when he has a cough and starts crying really hard, that's pretty normal, so I didn't think too much of it. Of course, about this time Luke decides that he needs to investigate what's happening in the bathroom (just like this morning when Noah calls to me, "Mom, Luke's playing in my pee, can you get him out of the bathroom", but that's a whole 'nother story) so I have to get Jeff to come and get him because Noah's a complete mess by now. After a few more minutes of gagging he finally coughs up a decent amount of mucus and other nastiness and I think it's all over. Now to just clean him and me (yup, some of it ended up on my pants and shirt and arm, mmmm, nasty) up and put him to bed. Again, no such luck. After a fair amount of kicking and screaming I get him into the shower to spray him down so that I can put him to bed. All while this is happening Jeff informs me that there's something that he absolutely has to go do and it can't wait. It's all I can do to not make some terrible comment but I can see in his face and demeanor that it's not something that he's wanting to go do, but something that really needs to happen right now and is important, so I tried the best I could to release him and let him go without feeling terrible. I was thinking that we were pretty much done with the issues so it wasn't to bad, but again, nope. I had left Noah sitting on his rocking chair wrapped in his towel while I went to find out that Jeff was leaving and get some clean clothes on and he sat quite happily and quietly. Before Jeff had left he threw Luke in his play yard and well, he wasn't too thrilled with that. So he'd been screaming in there for a while (thankfully Syd was happily watching videos and didn't need anything). After getting changed I went to check on Noah, thinking Luke can just wait, but when I got to Noah he was still quietly sitting in the chair. I made the quick decision to leave Noah there for a moment to go and make Luke his milk cup and rescue him from what he thought was torture and then go back to Noah. So, that's what I did. Except when I got back to Noah, there he was, still wrapped in his towel on his chair, asleep. He was so cute and precious. After talking the obligatory couple of pics I woke him up just enough to put on his p.j.'s and put him in bed. Again, relief started to rush over me as I thought, yes, I'm going to make it, everything is going to be fine. Wrong! Less then a minute or two after putting him in his bed he started to spew. I thought, okay, it'll just be a small bit, he hasn't eaten in like seven hours, it shouldn't be too bad. Man, let's just say he needs to chew better. It kept coming and coming. I kept thinking he must be done, I'll start taking off his bedding (which by now was covered in nastiness) and then he'd let loose again. Finally it all ended. He was covered, his bed was covered and even my feet had a little bit on them, so gross. After stripping him and his bed we went a showered off again, again with the tears and wailing, and then dried off and put on new p.j.'s. The poor baby had never really experienced throwing-up before. It was all new and scary to him and took all of my will to hold my stomach together and not just join him. I finally got his bed cleaned off and him in there and within a few moments he was back asleep. Now here's to hoping that he'll stay asleep all night and all this will be behind us!

No comments: