Thursday, February 12, 2009

**Warning** Potty Talk To Follow...

If you're offended by potty talk, please be wise and stop reading right here. And while you're at it you should probably skip my previous post as well because it's potty training time at the Thompson's and that all we're talking about these last two days it seems.

So, day 2 of potty training is half over and so far it's gone WAY better than I could have ever imagined. I've read a couple of books about potty training in one day and done a little investigating of the matter but wasn't totally convinced that it would actually work. But so far I've followed the basic ideology (get your kid to teach a doll and then practice, practice, and more practice) and Noah's doing great.

I was really freaked out the couple of days before starting because I had a crazy hard time getting Sydney to learn (it seemed to go on for months and months and it took like 3 days of mega accidents before she peed in the potty for the first time) and I had heard from so many people that boys are so much harder than girls. But for me, the experience has been way different. This might have something to do with the personality differences in the kids (Syd needs to have complete control and is super stubborn, Noah on the other hand is way more relaxed and easy going) or the way in which I worked with Noah yesterday compared to how I did it with Syd, but I don't really care the reason, I'm just super glad that it's going so well. It's still a lot of work and I'm completely exhausted again today (Luke had a really, really rough morning on top of working with Noah so that helped my tiredness along too) but I'm in such a better mood than when this whole thing started.

This morning while watching videos Noah just barely started peeing when he mentioned to Jeff that he had to go to the bathroom (I was in the shower so Jeff was in charge). So the two of them ran off to the potty and success was had. Now, he had started to pee in his underwear but just a few drops, pretty good in my books, no extra mess to clean up. Then I continued to take him to the potty every 15-20 minutes or so and through out the morning we went a few more times (a couple times he had small accidents, but just like early in the morning, not enough to go running down his legs and have to clean up). Now, going in to the area of tmi... Noah is a daily pooper... but yesterday he didn't go at all so I knew that it's been building up and he needed to get it out. I really hate cleaning poo out of underwear so I was trying to figure out a way to get him to go in the potty. I had noticed him farting a couple of times so I told him "Okay, Noah, push the farts out." Sorry to be so graphic.. but it worked! That was just the incentive and instructions that he needed, getting the farts out! I'm not sure who was more excited, Noah (he got two special treats for pooping), Syd (she got two special treats for cheering Noah on for pooping) or me (I didn't have to clean poo out of underwear, at least not yet! That's a definite special "treat" for me.) We called Jeff for some extra cheers and just partied it up for a few minutes so that he really got that this was a good thing. And now he's in his room, supposed to be sleeping but actually playing decently quietly, for nap time and I get a few minutes of peace to enjoy. So with that said, I'm going to enjoy my peace while it lasts!

No comments: