Tuesday, November 04, 2008

A Moment I'll Cherish Forever...

It's something that every Christian parents prays to hear their child say and today I had that privilege. While I was making dinner tonight Sydney nonchalantly walked up to me and said, "Mommy I want to have Jesus in my heart." My heart jumped when I heard her say that. We hadn't been talking about it recently (sure it's been something we've talked about in the past when talking about God, but it wasn't anything that I had talked about in the past day or so) so I was a little surprised and shocked to hear her say it, but so very excited. I stopped everything that I was doing and started talking to her about what she meant and what it meant to have Jesus in her heart. She told me that she loves God and that God loves her and that she wanted Jesus in her heart. Trying to control my emotions I sat down and explained to her that we're all bad sinners when we're born but that God sent his son, Jesus, who was perfect, to earth so that he could die instead of us so that we can know God and be with him. Pretty basic and I'm not really sure how much she understood or even if I really did an even decent job explaining it, but after that she repeated herself, unprompted by me, saying she wanted to have Jesus in her heart. Again, emotions sparking everywhere I told her that she should pray and ask Jesus into her heart, so she did. It was so simple, so innocent, so perfect. "Dear Jesus, please come into my heart." Even now, thinking back on it tears are coming to my eyes and making it hard for me to type. 

It's so cool how God works. Just this morning I was reading Luke 18:9-17 and it was about Jesus blessing the little children and how we need to have childlike faith. This is what I wrote in my journal today...

"We need to be humble in our lives and prayers. We need to remember our place, saved by grace because of what Jesus did, not because of who we are or what we did. We also need to come to him with childlike faith - trusting in him just because of who he is and his track record in our lives, not what our current situation is. We also need to teach our children about God and bring them to him because God's kingdom is for them as well."

I've also been writing out my prayers and here's how today's started...

"God, I thank you for all you've done for me. I thank you for your saving grace especially when I don't deserve it, which is all the time. I pray that I would have childlike faith and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're in control. Thank you for your love and that you want children to know you and be a part of your kingdom. Please help me to guide my children to you and show them you. "

Wow, that's all I can say. I remembered that I had read that section of my bible today and thought it was pretty cool for Syd to come and talk to me about this today, but I hadn't read my journal entry again until just before I started typing it out and I'm blown away. God really answers prayers. Now that doesn't come as a surprise to me or anything but it's still so cool to see it happen, especially in such a short time and in such an important thing.

Just after Syd prayed I called Jeff who was at work. I was so excited and knew that he would want to know also. So after getting him on the phone I told Syd to tell him what she just did and she told him. I hope Jeff doesn't mind me saying this, but he was a wreck after hearing her say, "I just prayed and asked Jesus to come into my heart." It was such a precious moment and definitely a moment that I'll cherish forever!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Char, how amazing!!! I had tears in my eyes while reading! Thank You to you and Jeff for being great parents and being examples for all 3 kids! Your children are all so precious and a delight to be with! :) We love you all!

Chris Goeppner said...

Praise God! What a wonderful and amazing moment. i hope my boys come to know Jesus at a young age too.
-Penny

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful posting Char, and what very precious news - just as well I can touch-type as the keys are looking real blurry right now :) Blessings and big hugs - us in uk

Anonymous said...

Wow ,Char.
That is amazing.
Much love,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

oh man i'm totally tearing up. that is so precious!

Anonymous said...

Hey By the way,
Where are these awesome pics from. (the ones on your blog with the pumpkins)? Do you have more of them? You look gorgeous and the pic looks like it could be a cover of a magazine!
If you have more pics from that set, we want to see them!
Love you all lots,
Debbie