Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Discussing Theology With a Two-Year-Old

Every 1st Tuesday of the month Jeff and the whole church staff fast for the day. So yesterday, being that day, Jeff wasn't eating - wow, could I be any more obvious. Anyway, I was working on making dinner yesterday and Sydney and Noah were playing near by. Sydney came up to me and started talking to me about wanting to eat dinner and who all was going to be eating. She mentioned that she was going to be eating, then that Noah was going to be eating and then she said that Daddy would be eating as well. At that point I told her that no, Daddy isn't going to be eating because today is his fasting day. She looked up at me quizzically so I went on to explain in the most basic way that I could what fasting is and why we do it. She said her regular comment when someone is doing/going to do something, "Me too!" So I told her that no, she had to eat her dinner and that fasting is only for big people, not little people and that when she gets big she can fast too. A moment later she's up and running around the kitchen for seemingly no reason. When I ask her what she's doing she says, "Me fast too." I guess theology is lost on a two-year-old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha that is really cute. Good sermon illustration.

Anonymous said...

too cute, charlene! i wish i had such a good attitude about fasting. :)