Monday, September 10, 2007

Second Chances

A few days ago a man had stopped by our home and asked if we wanted our lawn mowed. It was pretty obvious that it needed to be done (only a few weeks over due) and Jeff and I had been so busy working on other things the we hadn't had the chance to get to it. Now, we have a pretty big lawn, nothing huge, but good sized and to mow the whole thing, edging and everything takes two to three hours. So when this guy offered, I asked how much. After taking a look at our front and back he said "$35". Now I really have no idea what the going rate for lawn mowing is, absolutely none, and this didn't sound outrageous, but was just more than there was room in our budget for. So I politely declined, although I had a nagging feeling way in the back telling me to accept. The guy left and instantly I felt remorse. Here was a guy who was looking for an opportunity to make some money, not just standing on the street corner with a cardboard sign and pitiful begging look, but actually willing to go out and humble himself enough to offer to mow my lawn. The instant he left I knew this was my chance to help this guy out and I had blown it. The whole parable that Jesus told his followers about what we do for the hungry, poor, sick, etc. we do for Him came back to me and haunted me for the last couple days. So I've been praying that maybe, just maybe I'd see him riding his bike down the street or something and be able to stop him and tell him that I thought about it again and would like him to come and mow our lawn.


But just a few minutes ago there was a knock at my front door. It was a soft knock, one that I almost missed as I was making my lunch and Noah was screaming from his crib because he didn't want to have his nap, but I heard it and answered. And there he was, humbly asking for another chance, even offering to lower the price. It took me no time at all to answer him, "Yes, yes, please." I'm so excited that God answered my prayers to give me a second chance to help this guy out. I know nothing about him, but his action speak very loud that he wants to do the right thing and is willing to put in the work and effort required to make some money. He seemed genuinely excited when I said yes and he's coming back in a couple hours to actually do the work (on my request so that Jeff could be home when he was here, just in case of any problems) and I'm excited too. And another benefit is that Jeff won't have to spend three hours outside in the blazing heat doing one of his most dreaded tasks around the house, at least the one that seems to take the most time. So it seems to be a win for everyone, except maybe my check book, but I know that will all work out.

No comments: