Okay, that may be a little more dramatic than the reality, but it sounded really good in my head. So Sydney has been doing pretty good with Potty Training. She only wears a pull-up to bed at night and generally keeps her bed clean and dry during naps. She has amazed me at how quickly she picked the whole thing up, but we still have a little ways to go.
As long as I remember to tell her every 30 minutes to an hour to go to the bathroom, she does good. But if for some reason I don't remember or I get too busy or something, she often has an accident. I don't think she's quite figured out the whole "I have to go" feeling or something like that or maybe she just doesn't grasp the whole going by herself yet. Hopefully soon she'll figure that out so that I don't have to bring multiple changes of pants and underwear with me everywhere we go.
Every once and a while I think that she's starting to get it. Today I took Sydney to Target to see if I could get some money back on a patio set that we bought yesterday and was on sale today for over a $100 less and to buy a bathing suit (for when my family comes down and we go to the beach and pool and stuff). While I was trying on a bathing suit I looked over a Sydney who I noticed was starting to say "yuck" (her word for going to the bathroom) and saw that she had pulled down her pants and underwear. Thankfully we were in a changing room so she wasn't being totally indecent, but still. Anyways, I quickly got dressed telling her every two seconds to not pee yet and try and hold it till we got to the bathroom. As I'm throwing my clothes on and running frantically through the store all I can think is "Please don't pee, please don't pee, sure the one time I don't bring a change of clothes... please don't pee." We make it to the bathroom in time and relief rushes over me. I exclaim my happiness in her for telling me she had to go before she went in her pants and how proud I am of her and then we head back to the changing rooms to continue trying on bathing suits. As soon as we get back to the changing rooms (halfway across the store) she tells me again "yuck". I ask her if she's sure she has to go and she keeps saying it, "yuck, yuck". Worried that for some reason she didn't finish last time we run back to the bathrooms and try again. She didn't end up peeing again, but I think she just wanted to go and look at the bathroom again. She sure was happy about getting me to panic and practically run through the store like a mad woman.
So here I am, thinking that maybe, just maybe she's figured this whole thing out. So once we're home we decide to have dinner outside and play in the backyard for a while after dinner. Everything is going great until just before we were going to head inside to clean up and get ready for bed when I notice the nice big wet spot of the back of her shorts. So much for thinking we're making progress. Oh well, it hasn't even been two weeks since we started the whole potty training thing so I guess I shouldn't have too high of expectations. I really am proud of how well she's doing and only hope that she doesn't totally reverse all that she's learned while my family is here in about two weeks. I guess it's more about what I've learned and me keeping up on asking her and not getting distracted myself. Just like the first couple days of training, it's about me learning, not her.
Sunday, April 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment