under our stove. After a lot of arguing about the best way to get the snake trapped and outside and a bunch of really tense moments (like when we had the snake in the box and I didn't put the cover on the right way and he got out and we had to do it all over again, or when Jeff tried to look at it the first time and it sprung out at him) we finally succeeded and Jeff took the snake somewhere down the street. The adrenaline was definitely pumping and we were both exhausted when it was finally complete. It was a pretty big snake (about 4 feet), a lot bigger than I had expected it to be, but I didn't get that good of a look at it. Now I'm just trying my hardest not to be in total freak out mode every time I come within 10 feet of the oven. I had to make dinner after all this happened, so I was standing as far away from the stove as possible while still being able to cook. I was almost at the point of standing on a chair just in case another snake decided to show up, but well, Sydney was already standing on it and putting a btoddler on the floor to protect myself would be a little selfish. But even hours later, I still can't get that close to the oven, even putting something in the garbage can that's a couple feet away gets my nerves on edge. Hopefully in the next couple days my nerves will quiet down and I'll be able to cook fully again. It doesn't help that while trying to identify the snake a few minutes ago I found out that this snake lays its eggs from May to August and anywhere from 6-20 eggs, so there's always the possibility of that many more babies being in my house. I also found out that it will "readily bite to defend themselves", makes me feel a lot better having a toddler and soon to have a brand new baby in the house - ya right! At least I can somewhat pacify my self with the fact that it's non-venomous. If you're not freaking out along with me right now, you need to hear Jeff's version of the story, it's a lot more entertaining and exciting. Hopefully this is the last you'll hear of snakes visiting our home.
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Our Not So Little Visitor...
Today Jeff and I were working on rearranging some different items to clear out the baby's room so that Jeff's mom (and later my mom) could stay in it while she is here. I was past the point of exhaustion and was throwing out any and every idea that came to my mind and well, they all involved moving something else so that the things (office supplies drawers and a small filing cabinet) I wanted out of the baby's room could go in their place. Well, Jeff wasn't too interested in hearing my ideas, at least not if they involved moving something somewhere else and not knowing where that somewhere else would be but he wasn't coming up with too many ideas himself, so we were in a bit of a "raised frustration level". I think that's the best way to describe it. We finally decided on a location and had started to clean the area out and prepare it for the new stuff when Jeff walked over to the garbage can in the kitchen to throw something away. I was following a few steps behind with my own pile of garbage when this snake started to emerge from under the stove. We both freaked out and so did the snake, slithering back into the safety of under the stove. Now, when I get freaked out or worked up or something like that, I have a hard time getting my thoughts together and spilling them out in a way that satisfies Jeff. He wants me completely coherent and able to speak quickly and directly. I have the hardest time with this, but do my best although it rarely comes out right and then Jeff gets super frustrated that I can't explain myself completely and somewhat logically. So things get more heated and the frustration level is now at an all time high. Neither Jeff nor I really like snakes or want anything to do with them, but the thought of one in my house absolutely freaks me out. I remember around a month after moving in I found a small baby snake by my washing machine. I told Jeff about it, all freaked out that there would be more snakes living in my house and in my bed and my food or something, but he said there wouldn't be any more. Little did he know that eight or so months later we'd be trying to trap a full grown Black Racer
under our stove. After a lot of arguing about the best way to get the snake trapped and outside and a bunch of really tense moments (like when we had the snake in the box and I didn't put the cover on the right way and he got out and we had to do it all over again, or when Jeff tried to look at it the first time and it sprung out at him) we finally succeeded and Jeff took the snake somewhere down the street. The adrenaline was definitely pumping and we were both exhausted when it was finally complete. It was a pretty big snake (about 4 feet), a lot bigger than I had expected it to be, but I didn't get that good of a look at it. Now I'm just trying my hardest not to be in total freak out mode every time I come within 10 feet of the oven. I had to make dinner after all this happened, so I was standing as far away from the stove as possible while still being able to cook. I was almost at the point of standing on a chair just in case another snake decided to show up, but well, Sydney was already standing on it and putting a btoddler on the floor to protect myself would be a little selfish. But even hours later, I still can't get that close to the oven, even putting something in the garbage can that's a couple feet away gets my nerves on edge. Hopefully in the next couple days my nerves will quiet down and I'll be able to cook fully again. It doesn't help that while trying to identify the snake a few minutes ago I found out that this snake lays its eggs from May to August and anywhere from 6-20 eggs, so there's always the possibility of that many more babies being in my house. I also found out that it will "readily bite to defend themselves", makes me feel a lot better having a toddler and soon to have a brand new baby in the house - ya right! At least I can somewhat pacify my self with the fact that it's non-venomous. If you're not freaking out along with me right now, you need to hear Jeff's version of the story, it's a lot more entertaining and exciting. Hopefully this is the last you'll hear of snakes visiting our home.
under our stove. After a lot of arguing about the best way to get the snake trapped and outside and a bunch of really tense moments (like when we had the snake in the box and I didn't put the cover on the right way and he got out and we had to do it all over again, or when Jeff tried to look at it the first time and it sprung out at him) we finally succeeded and Jeff took the snake somewhere down the street. The adrenaline was definitely pumping and we were both exhausted when it was finally complete. It was a pretty big snake (about 4 feet), a lot bigger than I had expected it to be, but I didn't get that good of a look at it. Now I'm just trying my hardest not to be in total freak out mode every time I come within 10 feet of the oven. I had to make dinner after all this happened, so I was standing as far away from the stove as possible while still being able to cook. I was almost at the point of standing on a chair just in case another snake decided to show up, but well, Sydney was already standing on it and putting a btoddler on the floor to protect myself would be a little selfish. But even hours later, I still can't get that close to the oven, even putting something in the garbage can that's a couple feet away gets my nerves on edge. Hopefully in the next couple days my nerves will quiet down and I'll be able to cook fully again. It doesn't help that while trying to identify the snake a few minutes ago I found out that this snake lays its eggs from May to August and anywhere from 6-20 eggs, so there's always the possibility of that many more babies being in my house. I also found out that it will "readily bite to defend themselves", makes me feel a lot better having a toddler and soon to have a brand new baby in the house - ya right! At least I can somewhat pacify my self with the fact that it's non-venomous. If you're not freaking out along with me right now, you need to hear Jeff's version of the story, it's a lot more entertaining and exciting. Hopefully this is the last you'll hear of snakes visiting our home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
You're lucky that episode didn't put you into labor!
You want me to beat Jeff up for you? :)
Is that the real picture of the snake?
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I wouldn't have been able to sleep in my own house if I were you.
We miss you guys...somehow right now I don't feel like coming for a visit though. Have fun moms!!
Love Carissa
Nope, this isn't a picture of our snake. Although I did consider taking one for my blog (I really was thinking during the whole episode... wow, this is going to make a great blog, now I need a picture.) but figured that Jeff would freak out on me if I asked him to hold off on catching the snake for a minute so that I could take a picture. I was already driving him crazy with the pauses I was taking because I started to have contractions, but they sadly didn't progress into real labor. Man that would have been a great story though... going into labor after having a snake in the house...
Post a Comment