Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Great Website To Check Out....

I found this great website www.mom.salary.com today while reading an article on what Mom's are worth. It's so much fun. They ask you a few questions about the number of kids you have and where you live, and then they make you break down approximately how much time you spend a week doing different jobs. The jobs that they have listed include housekeeper, day care center teacher, cook, computer operator, laundry machine operator, janitor, facilities manager, chief executive officer, van driver and psychologist. I personally think they need to add a few more jobs to the list such as personal shopper (grocery, diaper and clothes shopping ought to count for something), interior decorator, landscape artist (okay, so I'm not really a gardner, yet - we have to get the whole lawn thing down before we venture off into gardens - but I know a lot of mom's who spend a good amount of time in their gardens), referee (especially when there's more than one kid of the same sex and close in age), trauma doctor/nurse (how many scrapes,cuts, bruises and near concussion have to happen before this one counts?), magician (making money appear from nowhere or making it stretch as far as you have to sometimes really should be called magic), and accountant (figuring out all the tax stuff could really add up). I'm sure you can think of a bunch more too, but well, I figure that's enough for now. Once you have entered your info, it calculates your yearly wages and I found out that I'm worth somewhere around $121,000 a year (I can't remember the exact number but it was over $121,000) for all the work I do at home. I figure that's pretty good, but then I wanted to check and see what I'll be worth in a few months time when I have two kids to take care of. The majority of the amounts of time that I spent doing the tasks stayed fairly close to the same, only increasing slightly, except for the cook. I figure that if I'm breastfeeding I'm spend at the minimum 4 hours a day doing that, so that upped the total a fair amount. And that was being on the low side. If I had wanted to I could have counted pretty much every hour of every day as being a cook while nursing because, well, I'm "cooking" all day to prepare for each feeding time. Sorry if that's offensive to anyone. Anyways, according to the second time I should make just over $176,000 a year. Not too bad for a job I love.

No comments: