Thursday, April 13, 2006
The Easter Dress Dilemma...
So here's my problem. I feel like a bad mom for not having already gone out and got Sydney a brand new super cute Easter dress. I'm not sure if I really should feel bad or not, but I sorta do. I can't figure out what to do... she already has a bazillion (that's a whole lot) of super cute spring type outfits, so why spend the money on a new one and make it so that each outfit only gets worn so few times? What is it about Easter that means that you have to get a new dress?Everybody talks about their new Easter outfits and the stores are all over you to buy the cutest new dresses, but why? What's so special about Easter (other than the obvious) that means you should go and spend money on an outfit that probably will only get worn a few times before it's outgrown? It's like Christmas, why buy new outfits for these two occasions? I'm sure it traces itself back to the super olden days when you only got two new dresses a year or something - one warm/winter hence Christmas and one cool/spring hence Easter. It's only a guess, but I'm sure it has something to do with that. So here's my conundrum- do I go and spend money on a dress so that Sydney looks really cute for one day (basically church because I'm sure when she runs around after church it'll become a complete mess really quickly) or do I just forget about all the looks that all the other parents that bought super fancy and cute outfits for their kids for Easter will be giving me while I dress Sydney in one of her many outfits that she already owns and everybody has seen her in? I guess it comes down to "am I a traditionalist" or "do I set my own course" and "do I really care what other's see and think"? I guess I'm having such a problem because I want to be everything - traditional and go my own way and yes I care what others think, but how much? Crap, I can't get away from all the questions. Well, if you have any advice or input, I'd love to hear it... just remember that if you're going to work towards convincing me to get Sydney an Easter dress, Easter is only something like 3 days away, and only two more of those are shopping days, so I've got to decide quickly. Let me know what you think.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Okay! My opinion. Save the money. Put her in something cute that she already owns. She will have no idea, and it will save $$ for more important things. As you can tell, I really could care less about what other people think. I'd rather buy a really cute Easter outfit for my pregnant self, not my daughter. Hee hee Hee!
I never understood the "you have to have a new pretty Easter dress" thing. I don't remember ever getting one and I don't remember ever getting you one either. I vote for "set your own course" and stand up tall and be happy while you're doing it. Who will remember what you and Sydney were wearing after 1:00 on Sunday anyways?
Follow your own gut feeling and budget ... and if you choose to not buy something new, tell yourself that whatever she's going to be wearing is her Easter outfit that was gotten in advance :) (and maybe even been allowed to wear in advance!). Life can be wierd sometimes - I remember when Jeff was a little school kiddie and they had to wear uniforms - they were not allowed to attend without a blazer (jacket) and we couldn't find a 2nd hand one (in great demand) so had to spend 200 that we couldn't afford, and I felt so guilty and perplexed because of all the poor people around and it seemed so ridiculous ... so Jeff went off in a new one about 10 sizes too big that would last him years!! Have a great Easter, luv Lee
Post a Comment