Wednesday, December 07, 2005
How To Check The Durability Of Your Marriage...
So Jeff and I have started to paint the new baby's room. We decided on this funky burnt orange color and so far are pretty happy with it. But if there's one thing that I've learnt about doing any kind of home improvement with your husband it's that you really need to have a huge amount of patience and a good control of your mouth. Jeff is an excellent painter, he did Sydney's bedroom while I was in Canada and it looks super. But we have different painting styles. I learnt from my dad. I was a huge Daddy's Girl while growing up and wanted to please him and make him proud in all that I did, especially when it came to something special that he let me help him with, like painting. So he taught me how to paint "the right way" or at least that's what he called it. Now there were lots of "learning experiences" for me along the way. Dad always did great and made my mistakes into learning experiences, so now I have a fairly good idea of how to "paint properly". The problem comes down to the fact that just because Dad said it was the right way to paint, doesn't mean it's the only way to paint and get good results. So while Jeff and I are painting I'm having to do all that I can to keep my mouth shut and not tell him what to do. If I've learnt anything from previous home improvements with Jeff it's that guys in general don't like to be told how to do things, especially from their wife, and not just any wife, but one who thinks her way is the only "right way". So working with Jeff definitely helps me work on my self control. I have a problem. I always want everything to happen exactly my way. So, I'm a little controlling. I have to give Jeff props in that never once did he even seem to take offence to my little "pieces of wisdom". He definitely had better self control than me. While I couldn't keep my mouth shut at moments, he never once made me feel bad or gave me any snarky comments. I was very impressed. If only I could do so well he probably wouldn't have to sit thinking in his mind that he wished I would just shut up. Anyways, like I said, he does a great job and my "help" really isn't necessary, which I still have to learn. So, if you want to find out how great your marriage is doing, or how good your self control is, pick up a paint brush and head into a room with your husband/wife and try to make it out without one argument, disagreement or other unhappy situation. We must be doing pretty good right now because this is the second night in a row that we've been working on the room and still no awkward moments (at least that have been let on to).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Atta girl Char. You're right there isn't only one way to paint a room, there is other peoples ways (many of them) and then there is the right way (like I taught you)!!!! just get your overlapping w's going strong and remember, Daddy taught me right but my hubby is the best, and one day he will teach Sydney how to paint lol Dad
Post a Comment