Friday, October 14, 2005

The WetJet Or Not To WetJet...

Okay, a couple days ago I went out and bought myself a Swiffer WetJet. New beautiful laminate floors (okay so I've had them for over a month and had yet to wash them so they weren't quite as beautiful as when they were first put in, but I was getting on it), commercials that made it seem so perfect and practical, a great coupon to cut the price almost in half - the perfect time to shell out the $15.00 and get one. Or so I thought. So far I haven't been all that impressed with it. They make it look so quick and easy and even economical on tv. Man, commercials and ads on shows suck. They totally made it look better than it really was. Sure, it's got some good points: fits in small spaces because of the funky rotating head, works great on small quick clean jobs and baby messes, but over all it so far hasn't lived up to it's reputation. I was all excited about my purchase, I even took it out of the box and put it together and used it the night I got it - it was like 9:00pm when I started. But when I realized the amount of the spray that it takes to get a decently but not over dirty floor clean, I wasn't impressed. Supposedly the bottle would last a month or two. Well, either I totally over do it, or they're wrong. I'm going with the last one. And the little wash pad things, it takes like two or more to do my entire house, especially if I don't want streaks like it claims that it won't have! It really adds up in the long run (the price). A box of 12 refill pads was like $6 and a bottle of the spray was on sale for $3. So I figure that's gonna cost me around $9 or more a month (and that's taking it easy on the amount of cleaning that I do). Now, I pulled out my old fashioned butterfly mop (actually it's pretty cool for the old fashioned kind) the other day because I had run out of the spray for my WetJet - surprise, surprise - and found it amazingly easy compared to the WetJet. The amount of flex in the handle was minimal compared to the WetJet, so those hard to get off spots came off a lot easier. I didn't have to bend down and scrape them off with my nail (at least not as much) as with the WetJet, which actually has a rough scraping thing on it (okay so does my old style one). Also, having to walk back and forth to my sink - ooohhh, not nearly as time consuming as the WetJet sales tactics make it sound. And the cleaning solution (good old Mr. Clean) worked a lot better than the WetJet spray. Now I will give it to the WetJet that when I bought a different kind of spray, it worked a lot better, but I think the floors were cleaner this time as well. So what's a girl to do? Use the good old friend or the new and exciting friend? Amazingly after all my ranting and raving, I still go with the WetJet for the small and awkward things and when I'm cleaning the whole house I think about pulling old faithful out. Maybe one day they'll actually be able to be good friends and work together in harmony.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Char,

I totally hear you on that one. We got one of those wet mops - not a swiffer wet jet - but it was the same. Each rag cost a bazillion dollars, and only did half my kitchen(and that's all I'm using it for - not the whole house)I'm big into just a regular mop, and a sinkful of Mr. Clean......can't go wrong with that. Love ya girl.