Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Lip Meet Cup, Cup Meet Tile Floor, Lip Meet Stitches...

Sunday afternoon as we were about to head out the door for church Luke did something that he has done many, many times before, but this time with different results.

Luke is like the little puppy with giant paws, always tripping over his own feet. Almost all the time there is a little whimper and then he's off and running again, that is, if there even is a little whimper. But not this time. This time he was mid drink when he tripped so his hands were on the cup and he was unable to catch himself. So he landed straight on his face with the cup between him and the hard tile floor.

I knew it wasn't going to be good when I heard the scream, he barely ever screams when he gets hurt, he's one super tough kid. But this time, he screamed! Then I saw the blood and that's when I knew it was going to require a little more than the usual hug and concusion check (I've gotten really good at those, he's always hitting/falling on his head). I saw the major split and new stitches were needed.

Once the blood slowed down I packed him up and took him to the urgent care place around the corner. I figured it was just the lipped and the urgent care place would be a lot quicker than the ER but when I got there I found out we'd need to go to the ER anyways. The doc at the urgent care place could have done it but on closer inspection he realized that the split had gone through the lip line and that made it a lot harder to do. He also said that he wasn't going to be able to use any anesthetic for the first stitch because of the location but if i went to the ER they'd be able to do it. So I made the decision to head to the hospital after all so that it wouldn't be so bad and painful for Luke.

After a decent wait at the ER (there weren't that many people in the waiting room but it still took about 1 1/2 hours until we got into the back room) we finally got to see the doc and Luke ended up with three stitches. He did great! He's such a tough kid. The doc told me to be prepared for him to scream from the moment they wrapped him up (like a burrito so that he wouldn't be able to move his arms and mess things up) until they were totally finished. But no, not Luke. He surprised us all and barely made a sound. He flinched a bit when they put the iodine on his lip, then started licking it, then spitting because it tasted pretty awful, then whimpered at bit when they injected the numbing stuff, but other than that was totally fine and just lied there letting the doc do his job.
He was so happy and just "Luke" seeing the good in everything and having a great time. We had fun hanging around the ER looking at the fish and entertaining everyone else who was there. He's such a trooper. I'm just surprised that it's taken us this long for his first ER trip.

3 comments:

Grandpa K said...

Way to go Lukey!! You ae such a big strong boy love and lots of hugs
Grandpa and Grandma K

Anonymous said...

Awwww .... Never a dull moment in your house! Now Lukie will have a stitch story to match his brother's. Big hugs to all. us in UK

Anonymous said...

I love the family pic. Do you have a whole set? I would love to see them. What a gorgeous family!
love dub