Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Excitement at the Doctor's Office...

So I finally got around to taking Luke for his 9-month check-up, only a month late, not too bad in my books. I also had the other two with me because they were supposed to get a booster or something of flu mist or whatever it was that they got last time they were in. Thankfully Jeff was wonderful enough to come and help me out, I'm really not sure what I would have done without him.

It all started out normal enough, we were the first appointment after lunch so we waited only a couple of minutes before being taken into the room and everything was going well. The kids had just had lunch and they each brought their own backpack full of toys and books and snacks (thanks Easter candy!) to help keep them occupied and happy while waiting. But I guess Noah just knew it was all going a little too easily and he needed to do something about that. You see, at our office they have examining tables that have little "caves" (or so we call them) underneath that my kids like to play in. I'm all about it because the kids out of the way and happy. Well, except for today. Noah had just come out of the "cave" to get something and was walking back to go in and hide, but he didn't quite make it. Luke was also crawling around the floor and I guess being 2 1/2, Noah clumsily tripped over him. With target-like trajectory, his right eye met the edge of the table right at the sharp corner of the "cave". It was a full on "thwap" and serious bellowing followed. I was only two steps away (I could have only been maybe one step farther away because the room was so small there was no more room for movement) so I was picking him up before he even realized what had just happened. I knew just from the sound of the hit that it wasn't going to be good. When I first picked him up I thought I saw red and sure enough after a few screams Noah let me hold him far enough away and get a good look at it. There it was, a nice inch long gash right next to his right eye. Really, there's no better place to be than in a doctor's office when your son decides to split his head open, but still, it's not a lot of fun. After some blood and tears were shed, we were able to stop the bleeding with a lot of pressure and get a better look at it. Sure enough it was going to need stitches.

After finally getting him to calm down a bit we sat down in the chair and just held him still because Luke still needed to get his check-up and we needed to decide what to do about Noah. The doctor gave us the option of going to the ER to have a plastic surgeon do the stitches for us (sadly it was just too big and in just the wrong spot that glue wasn't going to work) but the thought of sitting around somewhere else for a couple of more hours while waiting to see the plastic surgeon just wasn't all that exciting. And plus, boys like scars, don't they?! So the doc set everything up in the little room and Jeff took the other two kids down the hall to a family room to wait out all the fun.

And oh, what fun. Noah was so tired from all the excitement that he almost fell asleep waiting for his turn. He was so close until he heard the little (quite possibly demon possessed, no really) girl next door go absolutely nuts getting her shots. Yeah, not so great. But it didn't bother him too much. He actually told me "Mommy, that kid tripped and hit her head on the table too. There must have been too many doctors in there." Then he gave a little giggle. So after some more waiting it was finally our turn. The poor baby wasn't too happy to have the wound cleaned and numbed up, but between me and the nurse we were able to have a strong enough death grip to hold him down. At one point I almost started crying but I knew that I had to hold myself together to help him get through it, so I did. Man, he has got some of the toughest skin. The doc was pushing and pushing and many times the needle just didn't want to go through. I felt really bad for Noah having to endure that, but he really did well for what he had to go through. We finally made it through and now he's got some pretty great decorations on his face. 5 stitches, 4 stickers (he's really proud of them) and an hour and a half later and we finally made our way out the door and on home.

I'm just so thankful that Jeff was there. He was awesome to take time out of his crazy busy day at work to help me out and man, did he ever help today. What does a person do when they have three kids and one of them gets hurt really badly? There sure would have been a lot more screaming going on from the other two that's for sure.

We made it home and now, thankfully, everyone is napping (or at least having quiet time). It was more than enough excitement for me and I wish that I could be napping too, but no, stuff needs to get done. So this is where I'll end so that I can actually get those things done. Hope you have a happy, somewhat uneventful day!

6 comments:

katie said...

poor guy!! it's true, though, that most guys love scars...especially in obvious places. :)

Anonymous said...

That is terrible... He will love his war wound in a few years. Marc has a few he is proud of! So did the poor guy still have to have his booster???

Natalie

Anonymous said...

OUCH!!!

At least it is a pretty cool story.

Carissa

Anonymous said...

Awww - big hugs to you all for a traumatic day. What a brave little guy :) Love, Lee

Chris Goeppner said...

Woah, that is crazy! Poor Noah!:(
Well, you probably won't ever have to take the kids to the doctor by yourself again.;)
-Penny

Patti said...

Wow! Nice head wound, Noah! Good job! Sounds like he has a fair bit of Kennedy in him. We like our war wounds, don't we?