Saturday, July 21, 2007

A New Day Has Dawned At The Thompson House...

A day that I never thought would appear just broke the horizon. If anyone else knows how picky Jeff is with his food then this may come as a huge surprise to you, as it did me.

A couple weeks ago, Jeff came home from a church meeting where they had dinner. He came raving about this pasta that they had and how proud I would be that he even tried it, let alone liked it. It was a huge shock that he would venture into the pasta world as he has adamantly refused trying it in the past. So that he said he liked it, opened a whole new choice in dinner menu at our house. A couple days later I decided to pull out the pasta pot and make some for him to try. I popped open a jar of a white Parmesan (or something like that) sauce, thinking that he likes cheese (a LOT) so it should work. But no, he didn't like it and I figured that that was the end of my dream. For some reason I just presumed that he wouldn't like a tomato based sauce as he's not a big fan of tomatoes.

I forgot all about the possibility of having pasta at home again, at least as a main meal when Jeff would be there (I still had it occasionally when he wouldn't be able to make it home for dinner). But then today he came home telling me about this pasta that he had at a worship pastor's lunch that he really liked. I couldn't wait to try again and tonight just happened to be the perfect night. I had a small amount of meat left over from last night that I needed to use up and it wasn't going to be enough to feed both of us and I didn't really feel like making two entirely different meals, so I scanned my cupboards and found a jar of sauce and some pasta. A little scared that I would again make a pasta that he wasn't going to like, I started cooking. As meal time approached the anticipation and anxiety grew and I was getting really nervous for this second chance.

After a couple bites I heard words that I never thought would roll of his lips... "Wow, this sauce is really good, I could eat this all the time." I never thought I would be so excited about a meal being liked. A whole new dining experience has opened up and hopefully it will continue to grow as Jeff keeps trying new and exciting foods - I know, pasta is so exciting.

Some of you may not know Jeff that well (or at all) so this post may seem pretty stupid, but if you know Jeff and how extremely picky he is, then you understand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Char! I know that is a HUGE accomplishment.

-Carissa

Anonymous said...

Every once in a while that very topic comes to mind, I'm so happy for you!

Amber

Anonymous said...

Hey Char! Just stumbled onto your blog through Patti's... so great to see pics and read how you guys are doing! :-)
I know how great it is to add one more EASY meal to the mix!! So Have fun eating pasta... I wonder how he would like Tortelini or Ravioli?? :-) Good Luck!!

Lisa Kennedy