So I have a question that I really don't know the answer to. I'm sitting here in our living room with the kids watching Little Einsteins, one of our favorite shows, and don't know if I'm all about it or not. This isn't the first time that I haven't been overly sure about this program, but I still watch it, questioning it the whole way through. So why am I questioning whether or not to allow my kids to watch it? The episode on right now is a recreation of Sleeping Beauty - although it's with a Bassoon princess instead of a person. But the problem that I have is that it has a wicked wizard who casts a spell on the bassoon. Sure, in the end and the main point of the whole episode is that good overcomes evil, but do I really want my one and two year old learning about that in this way? I also have had a hard time watching the episode that is about Hansel and Gretel. It has a witch in it (just like the original fairy tale) and like the Princess Bassoon story today, it has a good moral ending (something about Brother and Sisters and helping and loving each other) but do I want my kids watching TV shows about witches? I guess the biggest problem that I have with them is that they make the witches/wizards so easy and accessible. Does that make sense? Am I totally overreacting? These are stories that have been told to kids for decades and I know that I watched or read about them when I was little, but how little? When is a child too young or old enough to learn about Fairy Tales and everything that comes along with them. Sure all the Fairy Tales that I can think of always have a happy ending, with good overcoming evil, but when is it appropriate to teach that to kids? When are they old enough to understand the whole idea? I'm sure some of you out there are thinking something along the lines of "holy crap, she's way too overprotective" or something, but it's just something that has been passing through my mind as I sit here with my kids.
So what are your ideas? Do you tell your kids about witches/wizards or let them read/watch things about them?
Tuesday, July 31, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hmmmm.....my kids are older now, and so the lines as to what age are a bit fuzzy. Three kids under three will do that to ya...ha ha ha
Anyhow,
I don't think you're being overprotective. We didn't let our kids watch a lot of the shows that other kids were allowed to watch. Dragon Tales being one, and there were a whole bunch of others....I just cant remember them right now.
We did watch a bunch of the disney movies (with the kids) and always talked with them about good versus evil from a very young age.
But we also shielded them from a bunch of stuff, until they were older. It's the same as my kids not being allowed to say "stupid" because they were/are too young to understand that something can be stupid, but it's not nice to call someone stupid.
I think it's a maturity thing. And the most important thing (I think ) about parenting is to go with what you believe. I know of parents of people my age who were trained to basically beat the evil aout of their children...not that I agree with this practise, but those that had misgivings and were hesitant (basically went outside of what they really felt or believed in their hearts) raised kids that were rebellious and even if they couldn't put it into words, they knew that their parents were living a lie (didn't really believe in what they were doing).....those parents that really believed in what they were doing (even though their methods were wacked, as far as I'm concerned) raised amazing adults who flourished and grew up with far fewer problems and issues.
You really have to do what you believe in, and trust God to lead you, and don't just do stuff because others tell you that they think it's a good idea. Trust that God leads and guides, and do exactly what He shows you to do, and you won't go wrong for yourselves or your kids.
You are such a good mom, Char, and I love you and miss you tons.
Keep on moving forward, and follow your heart!
i suggest we burn those movies
burn them with a stake
Post a Comment