Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Potty Training: Day 2

Well, another day completed and according to the stats it was a better day, but well, it sure didn't seem like it. Sure I only had something like 7 pairs of underwear to wash yesterday, but still no peeing in the potty. I didn't give her as much to drink and we had a shorter day (I put a pull up on her earlier than normal because we were going over to our friends' house for a little Wii action - the best video game system EVER!!!) so she didn't have as many chances to pee everywhere. But still, it's going to get better right? There is hope somewhere at the end of the tunnel?!

In other news... Noah got his third tooth yesterday. I can't believe how fast he's growing up. It seems like he's going a lot faster than Sydney did, but then everything seems to go by faster now, probably because it's so much busier around our house now than when it was just Sydney.

I've got a bunch of photos from the past month or so that Jeff has been sorting through and editing, so hopefully soon I'll be able to post them here. I'm not sure when it's going to be done because Jeff is currently in the studio recording (I'm actually watching and listening to him in action right now over the net, it's so cool), but as soon as he has the chance he'll work on them and then I'll post them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Char,

I think that you actually need to give her more to drink. You want MORE opportunities for her to go.

Are you putting a pull up or diaper on her for nap times,'cause if you only worry about awake times, then it's so much easier. Nap times and Night times will just eventually come.

Is she sitting on little potty or are you using the big toilet? I found a little potty easier 'cause we could move it around to the kitchen or wherever we were going to be. Another option can be to do no panties in the kitchen or over hardwood. Most kids hate to have pee running down their legs. It also means that there is nothing to pull down at the beginning when she's getting the hang of going on her own.

You could go at the same time as her, and possibly the sound of you going would get her going as well (same idea as the running water trick)


Can you block her into the Kitchen or TV room or wherever you guys spend the most time in a day, and then if you have a watch or clock that will beep every 5 minutes. I know this sounds rough, but if you take her to and sit on the toilet every 5 minutes or 10 if you think she will hold it that long without making a mess then just keep taking her, and make her sit until she goes. I don't mean force her to stay on the toilet, but keep her enteratined until she goes. Books, snacks, more water or juice or milk to drink, a cup to play in, adn then when she does go, give her more to drink ,and set the timer again for the next time.

A lot of the beginning training is more Mommy/Daddy training to get you to remember to take her every few minutes no matter where ou are. It's at this stage that you get very familiar with the stores and gas stations that have the nicest bathrooms. You'll make a lot of gas station bathroom trips, too, but remember the extra few minutes out of your trip will be so worth it when you dan't have to buy so many pull ups and diapers and even to have to change the gross stinky ones anymore.

When she does pee, obviously make a HUGE deal of how amazing she is, and then get her to drink more liquid. If you can do this for a day or two until she starts to ge tthe hang of it, it should go pretty quickly.

Also, if you want to be really mean or ingenious (it's all in how you look at it), then run the tap when she sits on the potty and even give her a bucket or cup of warm water to stick her fingers in. It's not fun when you're older, and have to go everytime the bath tub is run or the tap turns on, but it's effective and works.

The best advice I can give is to hit it hard for week. If you are kind of easy going about it, and do it sometimes, and not others, then it stretches out forever and ever and then it ends up sucking for you. It might be a TON of work for one week, but the end it's so much easier than dragging it out forever and ever.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I can't believe I once upon a time helped 2 kids thru potty training - it sounds unfathomable to me now!! All power and grace and wisdom to you! Hugs - lee