Tuesday, March 27, 2007

I Made Someone's Night Last Night...

I went shopping last night at Publix and as I was leaving I was enjoying a little John Mayer in the car. As I was leaving the parking lot I was stopped at a red light and was the only one there. Now when I listen to John Mayer, without realizing it I often start beating away on the steering wheel to the rhythm. I was all by myself so I didn't care how into the song I got. But I sat there for quite a while and all of the sudden I looked to my side and there was a car sitting there. In the back seat was a girl, probably in her late teens or early twenties staring at me with a huge smile on her face. Yeah, that's right she caught me playing my steering wheel drum. I guess that I stopped playing when I noticed that she was staring at me and I just knew what was going through her head, something along the lines of "Oh my gosh, did you see that lady, man this is going to be a great story to tell all my friends later!" So after like 5 minutes or something like that (at least it seemed that long) the light finally changed. As her car pulled away from mine she was laughing and trying to get me to play my "drum" again by showing me how to do it on the seat in front of her. Man, I felt like the biggest idiot, but at least I was able to laugh at myself.

It seems like going to Publix means a story of some sort for me lately. Last Sunday I went to pick up just a couple of things. I was just walking down one isle, totally minding my own business when this guy came up from behind me and started talking to me. At first I didn't think anything of it, I was polite and friendly, but not encouraging, but all that changed when he commented on the fact that I had a nice smile. He asked me if I was a teacher or bank teller. Feeling pretty uncomfortable I kept walking and said no, then he asked what I did. Thinking here's my chance to get rid of him I said "I'm a mom." He gave me a strange look so I continued, "I'm a stay at home mom." You could see his face change really quickly. He said something along the lines of "that's the best kind of job" and off he went, practically running away. I was so amazed that people actually do that, try and pick people up at the food store. I've heard that it's one of the best places to meet people, but I couldn't believe it actually happened, especially with a wedding ring glaring on my finger. When I got home and told Jeff about my experience he couldn't stop laughing. I'm not entirely sure that he was laughing at the guy for running scared or the fact that someone tried to pick me up, but he was laughing none the less.

To add another stupid Charlene moment for you, this morning Jeff and I got up early and did Pilate's. So I was physically awake after, but not totally there mentally. Jeff and I were eating breakfast and just as we were finishing he asked if he could have some more creamer in his coffee. So I got it out of the fridge and started pouring, but I wasn't pouring it into his coffee cup but into my milk cup. It didn't even click in that it wasn't the right cup until I had "finished". Yup, the lights were on, but no one was home.

Hopefully that will be the end of my embarrassing moments for at least a while. Most likely not, but a girl can hope can't she.

No comments: