Monday, September 18, 2006

Why I Hate The Doctor's...

So I finally gave in today and decided to make Sydney an appointment to get checked out. I stupidly made the appointment before checking her temp this morning based on the fact that when she woke-up screaming at around 3:45 in the middle of the night she had a fever of 101.3. So without checking her temp this morning, based solely on the middle of the night and my observations of her crankiness this morning I made the appointment. Right after setting it all up I decided to take her temperature. Thankfully after 3 days of checking, she's gotten really good about sitting still and letting me do it. It was completely normal. 1st sign that it was going to add to my theory that doctors suck, well, not the doctors themselves, but the whole going to the doctor experience. But I decided that since she'd had a temp of 103.3 yesterday and has been really not herself for the past week and a half or so, that I would go and just make sure that everything was good. Now you have to understand something, me giving in and getting over myself enough just to call the doctor is huge. Just ask Jeff when the last time that I made a doctors appointment was, other than for well-child check-ups. I actually can't remember it's been that long, I think it was a couple months ago (like 6) when Sydney had a rash on her face for over a month and it just wasn't going away. It took a lot of convincing from Jeff and him playing the "it's not about you, but the kids" card to make me go. I hate going to the doctor for a few reasons.

#1 It's a waste of time - you make an appointment for 9:00am and are lucky if you make it into the back hallway by 9:30, into your room by 9:45 and see the doctor by 10:15. Then the doctor only spends like 3 minutes with you.

#2 They're not going to tell you anything you didn't already know - it's just a virus and there's nothing you can give them for it, just rest and treat the symptoms.

#3 They might tell you something horrible - I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, I also think the littlest thing could lead to something huge and crazy, like maybe Sydney has an infection and if I don't get it checked out it could lead to an infection of the blood and then we'd be in the hospital for how knows how long and ahhhhhh (read that again with a crazed fear in your voice and you'll get my drift).

#4 It's going to be an overall horrible experience - kids scream, one wants to be fed, the other doesn't want to watch what's on the TV, but another show that's not on right now and wants to leave now, now now. Then finally calms down until the doc shows up at which point the screaming goes into overdrive and just getting the ears and throat checked is a traumatizing experience (I will say that the doc today did a really good job, thankfully, but Sydney still didn't like it too much) and wants to be held.

#5 The shower that you had in the morning was pointless - I was sweating from trying to comfort two screaming kids and the fact that they keep the temp up fairly high so that kids who have to get undressed to be checked aren't freezing.

#6 It ruins all my other plans for the day and even the next few days - yeah, I did have plans even with the kids being sick. I need to run to Costco and pick up a few things, like diapers and wipes which I'm almost out of, say maybe a one more day supply, then I need to head out to Publix to get the weekly groceries, which may end up happening tomorrow, which will throw tomorrow off. I was planning on going to the library for story time (depending on how the kids were feeling) or at least I had to drop off the videos that I picked up last week that are due back tomorrow.

#7 It throws Noah all off schedule - I had to wake Noah up to go and then he started screaming to eat, but after all of three minutes eating he started screaming and didn't want to eat any more (adding to the hysterics of the doctor visit) and now I don't know when he's going to want to eat again (possibly right now as he just started to wake-up).

So as you can see, I have many reasons for not wanting to go to the doctors, and I know that there's more, but well, I don't have the time to write every last one out and I'm already showing how selfish I am by placing my personal comfort and plans ahead of my child's wellbeing, so I'll stop before you really think bad of me and I don't just think it's the doctor who's thinking I'm an idiot for either bringing in the kids when they're not really that sick or for waiting so long to bring a sick kid in.

Just so you know, the Doc said Sydney is fine, it's just a virus and she should be good to go in a couple of days. No ear or throat problems, just a simple old cold. Ya, I could have told you that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Charlene- you gave me something to look forward to ;p

Miss you!!

Carissa