Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Amazing Disappearing Diaper and Other Strange Happenings In The Thompson Household....

Yesterday morning I got up to get Sydney and noticed that her room stunk. Not just the little poopy diaper smell, but really, really stunk. As I got closer to the crib I noticed poo smeared all over the place on the sheets, blankets and railings. I figured she just had some monster poo and it all come out of the diaper. At least that's what I thought until I picked her up and went to change her diaper and well, it wasn't there. At that point I also noticed all the poo everywhere on her and that he p.j.'s where wet too. Owwwwww, how gross this all was. I started cleaning her up then gave up with the whole "baby wipes bathing" thing and decided to give her a bath. I had figured that at some point she decided to take the diaper off or something and that I'd find the diaper sooner or later in her crib somewhere. After her bath I went to clean up the mess and couldn't find the diaper anywhere. I started thinking that I was completely losing it and had put Sydney to bed without a diaper. I was so sure I had put one on her after her bath the night before, but I just couldn't find a diaper anywhere and that was the only conclusion I could come to. I was ready to go to Jeff and tell him that I needed a real "Mom's Day Away" or something to get myself back together so I didn't forget something as integral as a diaper before bed when I remember cleaning up the night before and putting three diapers back into the diaper bag that Sydney had pulled apart. The strange thing was that I never have three diapers in the bag, always two, but I didn't think too much about it until I couldn't find the "disappearing diaper" this morning. I suddenly realized that I might not be completely losing it and that one of those diapers might just be the maverick, and it was. Either the diaper had come undone or Sydney pulled it off or something just before she went to bed and hid it among the other diapers and diaper bag stuff. The good news, I wasn't completely losing it, the bad news, no more excuse for a "Mom's Day". Still, it was quite funny after I got finished cleaning the poo out of everywhere and sanitized the crib, floor and all the pacifiers and everything that may have come in contact with the poo, but not so funny while cleaning poo out of p.j.'s and the like.

Other strange happenings... started Sunday afternoon. Jeff was about to leave to go pick up a couple new loveseats that we had bought off eBay (won't be doing that again) and Sydney and I went outside to say good-bye. Jeff is trained so well to automatically lock the door behind him whenever he leaves, and usually I stay inside so it's not a big deal, but Sunday I went outside and closed the door so as not to let out the nice, cold a/c air. As soon as I was doing it I realized that the door was locked behind me. And just my luck, Jeff didn't take his keys with him (he was borrowing the Children's Ministry cube truck to haul the loveseats) so we were locked out. To top it off, we're pretty good at locking all doors, windows and basically every other entrance into our place. I will give huge props to Jeff for not losing it but handling my stupidity very well. In the end we had to break out our window a/c unit and unlock the back door by Jeff reaching around through the window. It was quite a mess, but if there is anything possibly good that could come out of it, it would have to be the fact that we had wanted to move the window a/c unit so that it would stand up better to high winds and everything because, well, it wasn't going to make it through a hurricane. It's a great thing that we had the unit close to the door because it allowed us to break in. If it wasn't for that unit, we would have had to call a locksmith and pay the big money because we couldn't even break in through the windows because we have this safety film stuff on them that we wouldn't be able to break through. So that started our frustrating Sunday. Later, Jeff came home with the sofas and picked up a carpet cleaner to clean them. They're a off-white color and had a bunch of stains on them, but we thought that we'd be able to clean them up and make them look good. What a waste of time and frustration. After over an hour and a half of hunching over and trying everything I could to get even some of the stains out I gave up. I was so tired, frustrated and just plain mad. Pregnancy hormones don't help and I think I drove Jeff crazy as I almost blew up at him for no reason, only because I was so frustrated and hurting from try to clean the stupid sofas. You couldn't even tell that I had done anything. We decided to try and get some of our money back because the guy who sold them to us said that they would clean up fairly easily. We ended up getting half our money back (around $20) and got to keep the couches. They're decent enough looking and we've just bought slip covers to cover them up so that we can use them. They're basically just a hold over until the new Ikea comes to town next summer or something and we can get some from them. So until the new slip covers come (we bought them online, so hopefully we'll have a better outcome than with the sofas in the first place) I've thrown some old sheets over them just so we can use them, and well, they're quite comfortable, so that's nice. But wow, what a frustrating afternoon and evening.

On Monday the strange things continued, at least for Jeff. He was painting the door in our family room and the room has really poor lighting. It's fine during the day and for most things at night, but not for painting things white - which is the hardest thing to tell if you done properly even in perfect light. Anyways, he grab a can a paint that he thought was the white paint, but it wasn't. It was a really light, almost "ice blue" that we're going to use for Jeff's bathroom. He had finished painting the door, cleaning up and was relaxing when I came in and noticed that something was strange. I couldn't tell if the door was just a little wet still, or what, until I realized that it was blue. It made Jeff so mad that I offered to paint the door for him so that he wouldn't have to waste his time again. So today I finally got around to painting it, and well, it's still going to need at least one more coat, but at least it's not blue anymore. On the happy side, at least we now that we like the blue color that we picked out.

I think a few more things have gone wrong in the past couple days, but the only other one that I can really remember is that when I went to make dinner tonight I went to make beef dips. The only problem, I guess when I was shopping on Monday I grab the pastrami that was right next to the roast beef instead of the roast beef. It's so frustrating. I hadn't taken anything else out of the freezer so Jeff got good old frozen pizza for dinner. If you like pastrami, let me know, because neither Jeff nor I like it and well, I have a whole container of it.

So that's been my strange past couple of days. If you've made it this far in reading this blog, wow, I'm impressed. Either you have nothing to do and no life or you're my Mom or some other family member that wants to know everything that's happening in my life, no matter how boring it is (who else would really care that much?). Hope your days are better and less full of "strange happenings" then my last past couple have been.

No comments: