Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Today (Yesterday's) Humbling Moment...

Well, I've already had my humbling moment for the day today. You know the one that you get pretty much every day to remind yourself that you're still human and basically don't have it all together (okay, I definitely get more than one of these a day, but this was a pretty big one, for me at least). I had just hung up from talking to my Mom for the first time in a while (yeah, cable's back - more on that later) and was complaining to her about my cell phone situation. The short story goes something like this... my cell phone suddenly decided to stop charging which means that it wasn't working because the battery was dead. So I called the customer service department and they told me to send it in to this exchange program. I sent it in and was all excited today when the Fedex guy woke me up from a nap (yeah, I was excited to be woken up from a nap for this too!) to deliver it. Yeah, my phone, finally, I've missed it so! I rip open the package to find a letter all neatly typed, "we received your phone but didn't know what to do with it so we're sending it back to you" (re-worded for brevity). What?! Didn't know what to do with it?! I sent it in to the exchange program - that's what the mailing address even included "exchange program"! And you don't know what to do with it?! EXCHANGE IT! Boy, that was hard to figure out. So I got it back today - the same, non-working phone - and had to call customer service to figure out what to do this time to make sure that it doesn't happen again. Half way through my call I tried to plug it in again (I had tried earlier and nothing had happened, so I figured it was still broken) and of course it started charging. So humbly I had to tell the customer service rep that it started working and I didn't need anything further. Why does it always happen that right after you get all frustrated with the person on the other end of the phone that whatever the problem was it no longer is happening and everything is working fine? Of course I had started off my whole conversation with the fact that I was really frustrated and mad at them for everything that had happened so when it started working inexplicably I was a little humbled. That was my experience and one that I'd know rather forget. Although, if my phone stops working (which I really hope it doesn't) I guess I'll have another chance to be humble again.

No comments: