Tuesday, October 11, 2005

My Poor Sick Baby... And No I Don't Mean Jeff

Yup, you probably figured it out. If it's not Jeff that's sick that only leaves one other baby in the house, Sydney. She's seemed to come down with some sorta cold or something. She's been having a pretty rough cough, runny nose, wheezing and even a little fever. I'm a little scared that she might have bronchitis or something because the Children's Director at our church has just gotten over it and she often comes into the nursery to play with the kids. She made sure she didn't go in when she was sick, but I just found out that her granddaughter who is in the nursery with Sydney has similar symptoms. Who knows. All I know is that she gets pretty misserable (like right now she's supposed to be napping but she woke her self up coughing and is now crying. I should probably go get her and come back soon.) Okay I'm back. I guess a half an hour nap was all she wanted. Hopefully she'll sleep longer this afternoon. Poor girl, she sleeps the best when she has a paci in her mouth, but because she can't breath through her mouth she's having a real problem sucking on her paci. It's like when you have a cold and are trying to eat and in the middle of a bite you have to pause to take a breath. It totally sucks. Hopefully she'll get better soon.

A Great Recipe

Yesterday Sydney and I thought it would be nice to go take Jeff lunch at work. We had a great time and I made a really great meal. If you're looking for something new to try, try this. Jeff absolutely loves it (which really means a lot seens how he's so picky) and when Dad was in town I made it for him and he loved it too. It's a tuna steak with pineapple thing. Here's the recipe.

2 Tuna Steaks
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

1/4 cup White wine or Chicken Broth
1/2-1 cup Pineapple Chunks (either canned or fresh)
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

So, you take the Tuna Steaks and salt and pepper them a bit on both sides. Then cook in olive oil in a frying pan for around 7-9 minutes or until cooked through . Then remove from frying pan and wrap in foil and set aside. Put wine or broth in pan and stir constantly over high heat until it reduces by about half. Then put pineapple and lemon juice and salt and pepper and cook just until warm (you don't really want to cook it too long or it gets soggy). Serve the pineapple over the tuna and voila an amazing entre.

I know that I can buy tuna steaks in the fish section of the frozen foods. Hopefully you can find them there too. You can also buy it fresh (at least you can here) but it costs a bit more usually and generally I end up freezing it for a while anyways. Give it a try. You'll be amazed at how good something so simple can be, and you'll only have one pan to clean up after. What can be better than that - a happy tummy and only one dish to clean). I've tried both wine and chicken broth and I think personally I like the chicken broth better, but it's a bit of a toss-up, almost too close to call.

Well, have a great day and enjoy a great meal with your family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so great, to be able to hear what you are thinking and feeling in your everyday life. I love it!!

Dad told me about the tuna, we haven't tried it ourselves yet, but now I have the recipe I'll go buy some.

Love you all,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Sydney's eyes look so swollen--the beautiful little girl. I'm so sad she is feeling rough. There is nothing more frustrating to a mom then watching your baby hurt. I'm hugging her from far, far away.

Love you guys,
Grandma