Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Seriously, I'm A Freakin' Genius...

I only wish I had thought of this earlier, it would have saved both Jeff and I a lot of frustration. To preface my amazing idea (which I better stop talking up because it's never going to live up to all the talk at this rate) you have to know of the love my kids have for pancakes. More specifically, pancakes shaped like Mickey Mouse and covered in peanut butter and syrup - really healthy, I know. They just love it. As a special treat I will often make it for them on Wednesday nights while Jeff is at youth. They absolutely love "helping" me stir the batter and watch me cook them, but nothing compares to eating. They seriously eat as much or more than Jeff and I do.

The only problem with the whole pancake thing is, I HATE CUTTING THEM! The knives we have just don't get the job done very well and with how freakin' sticky the combination of peanut butter and syrup is, it totally makes me want to make almost anything else for dinner. But the kids just love it so much that I can't say no. So this is where my genius idea comes in. After I finished cutting two pancakes for each of the kids tonight I figured there had to be a better way. I was thinking of all sorts of crazy thing, like making a cookie-cutter type thing that you could just press down and have instant squares or whatever. But well, I'm not exactly into welding so that idea got nixed. But my next idea, now this might just work. I wanted to try it out, but didn't want to pressure the kids to eat more than they wanted, and they had already had two each like I said earlier, and some days that's all they'll eat. But no, not tonight. To my excitement they both asked for one more and I was going to get to try out my genius idea, yeah!

So after all this suspense, what was my great idea? A pizza cutter and it worked better than perfect! Just slather those puppies with peanut butter and syrup and roll on through. It couldn't have been easier. What took me a minute or more before now took me less than 10 seconds, it was a Dinner Miracle. I was so excited, and yet sad at the same time for all the lost time and major frustrations that I had to deal with in the past. But no longer. Now I know better and will never go back to the old-school knife.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, and to think that 11 years in and I've never ever thought of that...you are a freakin' genius, Char. I'll have to try that they next time, J asks me to cut up his pancakces. YOU ROCK!

Anonymous said...

Sheer brilliance.
You are amazing.
Love you, debbie